An Alcohol? What Are the Chances! Knowledge-Based and Probabilistic Models in Chemistry Using PyMC3 by Hessam Mehr & Dario Caramelli

Talk Abstract

We have used PyMC3 to formulate an explainable probabilistic model of chemical reactivity. This probabilistic model combines the intuitive concepts of high school chemistry with the computer’s ability to store and reason about large datasets. We use our model in the lab, where it guides a robot chemist towards “interesting” experiments that might lead to the discovery of new reactions.

Talk

Hessam Mehr

Hessam Mehr is a research associate in the Cronin group at the University of Glasgow’s School of Chemistry. He works with an interdisciplinary group of scientists and engineers to build robots and teach them how to do chemistry. Since he joined the group in 2018, Hessam’s main focus has been the integration of probabilistic reasoning with chemical robotics and discovery.

Dario Caramelli

Dario Caramelli is a research associate in the Cronin group at the University of Glasgow. His research involves building and programming of autonomous robots for reaction discovery as well as the development of algorithms for chemical space modelling and data processing. Dario obtained a Master degree in Organic chemistry in Rome (2015) and a PhD in the Cronin group (2019).

This is a PyMCon 2020 talk

Learn more about PyMCon!

PyMCon is an asynchronous-first virtual conference for the Bayesian community.

We have posted all the talks here in Discourse on October 24th, one week before the live PyMCon session for everyone to see and discuss at their own pace.

If you are available on October 31st you can register for the live session here!, but if you are not don’t worry, all the talks are already available here on Discourse (keynotes will be posted after the conference) and you can network here on Discourse and on our Zulip.

We value the participation of each member of the PyMC community and want all attendees to have an enjoyable and fulfilling experience. Accordingly, all attendees are expected to show respect and courtesy to other attendees throughout the conference and at all conference events. Everyone taking part in PyMCon activities must abide by the PyMCon Code of Conduct. You can report any incident through this from.

If you want to support PyMCon and the PyMC community but you can’t attend the live session, consider donating to PyMC

Do you have suggestions to improve PyMCon? We have an anonymous suggestion box waiting for you

Have you enjoyed PyMCon? Please fill our PyMCon attendee survey. It is open to both async PyMCon attendees and people taking part in the live session.

1 Like

Thanks for the talk - very interesting and exciting area of research! I would love to know more about the actually model but I am not able to find the code - would be great if you could share.

BTW, I did my PhD in University of Glasgow :slight_smile: I was in Psychology (Hillhead street just next to the library).

2 Likes

@junpenglao Thanks for the kind words. We have a manuscript in preparation based on the model, which I hope will be out sometime next year. In the meantime I’m afraid we won’t be able to release the code.

Good to hear from a Glasgow Uni graduate — I’m sure I’ve walked past your old department many times! Hope you don’t miss Glasgow too badly.