Bayesian linear regression with SVGD

Hi, I am using stein variational gradient descent to solve a simple Bayesian linear regression problem, but the result seems to have some problems for the variance parameter. My code does not use pymc3, and can anyone provide a sample code in pymc3 for this problem so I can verify whether this is my own mistake or a limitation of the SVGD algorithm.

Hi, I’m not familiar with SVGD myself, but have you checked out the examples or tutorials from our gallery?

tutorials_notebooks — PyMC3 3.10.0 documentation section Tutorials/Basics/Variational API Quickstart
examples_notebooks — PyMC3 3.10.0 documentation section Examples/Variational Inference

Hi michael, I have checked these exampes and I got the following ADVI example, but it cannot work

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np
import pymc3 as pm
from pymc3 import *
import pandas as pd
import theano

size = 200
true_intercept = 1
true_slope = 2

x = np.linspace(0, 1, size)

# y = a + b*x
true_regression_line = true_intercept + true_slope * x
# add noise
y = true_regression_line + np.random.normal(scale=0.5, size=size)

data = dict(x=x, y=y)

# show the data
fig = plt.figure(figsize=(7, 7))
ax = fig.add_subplot(111, xlabel="x", ylabel="y", title="Generated data and underlying model")
ax.plot(x, y, "x", label="sampled data")
ax.plot(x, true_regression_line, label="true regression line", lw=2.0)
plt.legend(loc=0)
plt.show()

with Model() as model:  # model specifications in PyMC3 are wrapped in a with-statement
    # Define priors
    sigma = HalfNormal("sigma", sd=1)
    intercept = Normal("Intercept", 0, sd=1)
    x_coeff = Normal("x", 0, sd=1)

# Define likelihood
    likelihood = Normal("y", mu=intercept + x_coeff * x, sd=sigma, observed=y)

# Inference!
    trace = sample(3000, cores=2)  # draw 3000 posterior samples using NUTS sampling

# traceplot(trace)

# mean_field = pm.fit(method="advi")
    advi_fit = pm.fit(method=pm.ADVI(), n=30000)

pm.plot_posterior(advi_fit.sample(1000), color="LightSeaGreen")

The nuts sampling is OK, but the ADVI will raise errors.

What error is raised exactly? Your code works fine in my jupyter notebook running PyMC 3.10.0. The resulting plot:

Edit: For some reason the image is shown with black background hiding the labels. From left to right, these are the posteriors for Intercept, x, and sigma.

Hi Dominik, thanks for your reply. I find it may be the problem of theano. I reinstall pymc3 and the code now works normally.