GP evaluation speed within model

I am trying to find physical conditions in a medium affected by many complicated processes. The physics are time-consuming enough to calculate that I can’t resimulate for each step in an MCMC, for instance. Most people in my field choose to assume the observables vary slowly with respect to the underlying physical conditions, and simulate a relatively sparse grid of observables. I am used to wrapping that grid with an interpolator, but there is no native interpolation in Theano, and I want to be able to take advantage of NUTS without having to write gradients and such.

Prompted by these two threads [1, 2], I have reimplemented a handful of sparsely-sampled N-dimensional function grid interpolations as a set of GPs. I can solve a system of this form for each observable:

def solve_single_gp(lengthscales, X0, samples, noise=1.0e-3):
    cov = pm.gp.cov.ExpQuad(len(lengthscales), ls=lengthscales)
    K = cov(X0.T)
    K_noise = K + pm.gp.cov.WhiteNoise(noise)(X0.T)

L = np.linalg.cholesky(K_noise.eval())
    alpha = np.linalg.solve(
        L.T, np.linalg.solve(L, samples.flatten()))

return cov, alpha

and then use that solution to calculate the GP solution for that observable:

def gp_predictt(cov, alpha, X0, X1):
    K_s = cov(X0.T, X1.T)
    post_mean = theano.tensor.dot(K_s.T, alpha)
    return post_mean

This code is more or less copied from the GP Slice Sampling tutorial. I don’t care about sampling, per se, from the GP at some point–I just want the most likely value of the underlying function given the input grid points.

So, from here, I can take this set of GP solutions and use them to model observations:

def find_ism_params(grid, dustlaw, line_obs, line_ls, drpall_row):
    '''
    run a pymc3 grid on a whole galaxy

- grid: yields from pre-GP-trained photoionization grid
    - dustlaw: dust attenuation function
    - line_obs: emission-line observation object
    - line_ls: line wavelength
    - drpall_row: metadata
    '''

zdist = drpall_row['nsa_zdist']
    four_pi_r2 = (4. * np.pi * cosmo.luminosity_distance(zdist)**2.).to(units.cm**2).value
    # get observations
    f, unc, _ = map(lambda x: np.stack(x).T, line_obs.get_good_obs())
    cov = np.stack([np.diag(u**2.) for u in unc], axis=-1)
    f, unc, cov = f[:1], unc[:1], cov[..., :1]

*obs_shape_, nlines = f.shape
    obs_shape = tuple(obs_shape_)
    print('in galaxy: {} measurements of {} lines'.format(obs_shape, nlines))

with pymc3.Model() as model:

# priors
        ## first on photoionization model
        logZ = pymc3.Uniform('logZ', *grid.range('logZ'), shape=obs_shape,
                             testval=0.)
        logU = pymc3.Uniform('logU', *grid.range('logU'), shape=obs_shape,
                             testval=-2.5)
        age = pymc3.Uniform('age', *grid.range('Age'), shape=obs_shape,
                            testval=4.)

grid_params = theano.tensor.stack([logZ, logU, age], axis=0)

# next on normalization of emission line strengths
        logQH = pymc3.Normal('logQH', 50., 3., shape=obs_shape + (1, ), testval=50)
        linelumsperqh = grid.predictt(grid_params)  #  calls GP grid for all observables
        linelums = linelumsperqh * 10**logQH  #  scale factor for luminosities

## next on dust model
        extinction_at_AV1 = theano.shared(  #  shape (nlines, )
            dustlaw(wave=line_ls, a_v=1., r_v=3.1))
        AV = pymc3.Exponential(  #  shape (*obs_shape, )
            'AV', 3., shape=obs_shape, testval=1.)  #  extinction in V-band
        twopointfive = theano.shared(2.5)
        A_lambda = theano.tensor.outer(AV, extinction_at_AV1)
        atten = 10**(-A_lambda / twopointfive)

# dim lines based on distance
        distmod = theano.shared(four_pi_r2)
        one_e_minus17 = theano.shared(1.0e-17)
        linefluxes = linelums * atten / distmod / one_e_minus17

ln_unc_underestimate_factor = pymc3.Uniform(
            'ln-unc-underestimate', -10., 10., testval=0.)
        linefluxes_obs = pymc3.Normal(
            'fluxes-obs', mu=linefluxes,
            sd=unc * theano.tensor.exp(ln_unc_underestimate_factor),
            observed=f, shape=f.shape)

map_start = pymc3.find_MAP()

trace = pymc3.sample(draws=5000, tune=500, cores=6, start=map_start)

return model, trace

Ultimately, I’m saying I have predictions for 9 observables, which depend on ~5 unobserved quantities that I’m trying to model. This seems to work well when there’s just one or two sets of observations (when f has a shape like (a few, 9)); however, I am trying to run this analysis simultaneously for ~2000 sets of observations (I think these can be referred to as “plates”, but I’m not sure I’m using that term right). In that case, this is super slow (30 sec per step). This would only make sense if predictt were being run once per chain per step.

Can anyone offer suggestions for how to improve this? Is there a way to specify that the GP call can be sped up by pooling together the calls for all the chains? Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

@bwengals can you have a look?

Sorry, I’m a bit confused, could you clarify a couple things? In logZ, logU and age there is *grid.range('Age'), so I’m assuming its a (2, ) shaped tuple. But then later there is

linelumsperqh = grid.predictt(grid_params)  #  calls GP grid for all observ ... 

which is from a gp object. Am I reading this right?

Thanks, @bwengals, for the response, and apologies for the delay in answering

grid is sort of a wrapper object that keeps track of GP solutions (cov[i], alpha[i]) for some observable i. grid.range() gets the min and max of the coordinate arrays for a given dimension of the GP:

def range(self, paramname):
    gridvals = np.array(self.grid_yaml_cfg['gridprops'][paramname]['vals'])
    return (gridvals.min(), gridvals.max())

grid.predictt() basically stacks the outputs from each observable’s GP:

def predictt(self, X1):
    results_cols = tuple(gp_grid.gp_predictt(cov, alpha, self.X0, X1)
                         for cov, alpha in zip(self.covs, self.alphas))
    return theano.tensor.stack(results_cols, axis=1)

However… I did some other experiments late last week, where I decreased the number of observables to 2 or 3. If most of the time were being taken up in the GP evaluation, then I’d expect the model to sample faster. In fact, the speed was essentially identical. This could be a red herring, but I wonder if perhaps the model (not the GP) is the problem.

Oh, one more thing: since the magnitude and range of the output of each GP is likely to be small (\sim 10^{-13}), I’ve also played around with centering each GP at zero (divide by mean value in training data, subtract one; then perform opposite transformation after evaluation). This has not helped noticeably, though.

If the magnitude and range is that small, normalizing should definitely help out. A default diagonal of 1e-6 is added internally to stabilize the Cholesky decomposition. If it’s making no difference that might be something to check into as well.

The speed of the GP depend pretty much entirely on the dimension of the covariance matrix. If that doesn’t change from run to run, then that speed should be a constant.

After some more poking around, I think my woes are being caused by issues with the model that’s calling the surrogate. I’ll make a separate post about that, and maybe come back to this line of inquiry in the future.