How to fix ImportError or Intel MKL Error during PyMC3 import in pyinstaller executable

Hello,

I am attempting to create a standalone executable tool based on a PyMC3 sampler with Pyinstaller. As a .py script, the program runs fine, but I have not yet been able to run it once it is compiled to an executable.

I have come across generally two types of error messages during my trouble shooting process:

If compiled in some virtual environment with Python 3.7.x or 3.8.x, running the executable yields
INTEL MKL ERROR: The specified module could not be found. mkl_intel_thread.1.dll. Intel MKL FATAL ERROR: Cannot load mkl_intel_thread.1.dll.
with no traceback.

If compiled in a virtual environment with Python 3.9.x, running the executable yields
ImportError: cannot import name 'ccompiler' from partially initialized module 'numpy.distutils' (most likely due to a circular import) (C:\...\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI238682\numpy\distutils\__init__.pyc)
with traceback
File "*[pymc script]*.py", line 1, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "pymc3\__init__.py", line 23, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "theano\__init__.py", line 83, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "theano\scalar\__init__.py", line 1, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "theano\scalar\basic.py", line 22, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "theano\printing.py", line 18, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "theano\compile\__init__.py", line 21, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "theano\compile\mode.py", line 21, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "theano\link\c\basic.py", line 19, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "theano\link\c\cmodule.py", line 23, in <module> File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 540, in exec_module File "numpy\distutils\__init__.py", line 24, in <module>

showing that it failed during pymc3/theano import. This happens at the pymc3 import regardless of the order of the import steps in the script.

I also added an import step for that ccompiler from numpy to see what would happen leading to
ImportError: cannot import name 'log' from partially initialized module 'numpy.distutils' (most likely due to a circular import) (C:\...\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI170202\numpy\distutils\__init__.pyc)
and then with an import step for that…
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'numpy.distutils.misc_util'

Other 3.8.x venvs yield
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'theano.tensor.shared_randomstreams'

I do not really know what would specifically cause any of these errors.

These are run in virtual environments containing only the necessary libraries. Updating libraries did not help. I have successfully used pyinstaller for non-MCMC programs before. I tried both onefile and one-directory options for the executable format.

Has anyone run into similar problems when running pymc3 through pyinstaller? Is there a better route I should be taking for a simple downloadable mcmc tool? My problems could possibly be more related to numpy or pyinstaller configuration, but since the error occurred during PyMC import I figured it would be worth asking here.

Any reason you can’t use conda?

I have been using conda for environment management and library installation. Unless you mean something else?

In your original question you wrote something about PyInstaller and virtualenv. What do you need those for if you’re using conda?

I just meant the conda environments, apologies for the confusion. Does conda have a method to compile a python script to an executable with no dependencies? Do you mean a conda constructor? I’m specifically creating something to distribute to a few coworkers without the need to set up python

I don’t think that will be possible as Theano/Aesara needs a compiler.

I ran into this problem too. I had the same error as yours when trying to create an exe tool. Have you figured it out yet?