How to install pymc and other dependencies of the GP examples at pymc.io?

Hi, I like to try PyMC and in particular Gaussian Processes. But it is unclear to me what the dependencies of the examples at PyMC Example Gallery — PyMC example gallery are.

For example,
(1) are examples like this Gaussian Process (GP) smoothing — PyMC example gallery for PyMC3 only?
(2) how do I install Theano? If I follow the installation guide for PyMC on Installation — PyMC 5.7.1 documentation and add theono-pymc, it results in an error that pytensor 5 is not available (mamba create -c conda-forge -n pymc_env "pymc>=5" theano-pymc pandas scipy ipykernel jupyter)
(3) Not specifying pymc>=5 results in pymc=4 but there is an error with numpy when loading theano.
(4) Which of the examples is good to learn GPs in the recommended pymc version (is pymc5 good to go for?)

Best regards
Ezra

1 Like

Please find the official installation instructions here. Theano should not be installed. I would might recommend the new Hilbert Space GPs. Check out @bwengals 's PyMCon event detailing them here.

Thanks @cluhmann for the video, looks really interesting! Also thanks for reiterating that Theono is not to be installed. I simply thought I have to, since many of the examples use it explicitly (and it doesn’t come with PyMC).

Further, I take it from your hint at the official installation guide, that I - as a beginner - shouldn’t try to run any of the examples which rely on Theano (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) or use PyMC3 (7, 8) and stick to those: 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 instead?

For “working out of the box”, you should definitely stick to the notebooks that have been updated to v4/v5. The older notebook should work, but may require a bit of tweaking to bring them up to date. But if there’s something you desperately need from a not-yet-updated notebook, ask and someone should be able to help you out.

1 Like

Thanks again, now I know where to check and where to start! And there is enough in v4/v5 for me to get started. It turned out that I just happened to pick old examples as they aligned roughly with what I was looking for. But, there is nothing right now which I must know, so for now, I’ll be good to check any of the v4/v5 examples!

2 Likes