How to repeat a 2d GP surface to parameterize a 3d process?

Hello!

I have some 3d data (2d spatial surface, sampled 500 times) that I’d like to model with a Gumbel distribution. For the mean of the Gumbel distribution, I’d like to use a 2d (spatial) GP. My trouble is with aligning the GP prior up with the actual data. Since the data is d1 x d2 x 500 and the GP prior is just d1 x d2, I think I need to repeat each value in the prior 500 times. Here’s a minimum (not) working example:

import numpy as np
import xarray as xr
import pymc as pm
import pymc.sampling_jax
import aesara.tensor as at
from scipy.stats import gumbel_r

# simulate fake data; format as dataset
data = xr.Dataset(
    data_vars={
        "Y": (
            ["x1", "x2", "sample"],
            gumbel_r.rvs(loc=8, scale=4, size=(24, 24, 500)),
        )
    },
    coords={
        "x1": np.linspace(-2, 2, 24),
        "x2": np.linspace(-2, 2, 24),
        "sample": np.arange(500),
    },
)

# convert to vector-valued data
df = data.to_dataframe().reset_index().sort_values(by=["x1", "x2"])
Y = df["Y"]
X = df[["x1", "x2"]].drop_duplicates() # -> has length 24*24

with pm.Model(coords={"predictors": X.columns.values}) as mwe_model:

## mu parameter
    # mean
    beta0_mu = pm.StudentT("beta0_mu", nu=5, mu=5, sigma=2)
    coefficients_mu = pm.StudentT("coefficients_mu", nu=5, mu=0, sigma=5, dims="predictors")
    mean_mu = pm.gp.mean.Linear(coefficients_mu, intercept=beta0_mu)

# covariance
    scale_mu = pm.HalfCauchy("scale_mu", beta=1)
    range_mu = pm.HalfCauchy("range_mu", beta=1, shape=(2,))
    cov_mu = scale_mu**2 * pm.gp.cov.Matern32(2, range_mu)

gp_mu = pm.gp.Latent(mean_func=mean_mu, cov_func=cov_mu)
    f_mu = at.repeat(gp_mu.prior("gp_mu", X=X.values), 500, axis=0) # this is the line I'm curious about

## beta parameter
    beta = pm.HalfStudentT("beta", nu=5, sigma=3)

Y_ = pm.Gumbel("spatial_gumbel", mu=f_mu, beta=beta, observed=Y.values)

pymc.sampling_jax.sample_numpyro_nuts(
        tune=1500,
        target_accept=0.9,
        postprocessing_backend="gpu",
        chain_method="parallel",
        # ignore log-likelihood due to memory error in calculation
        idata_kwargs={"log_likelihood": False},
    )

This gives me the following error:

TypeError: Shapes must be 1D sequences of concrete values of integer type, got [288000]. If using `jit`, try using `static_argnums` or applying `jit` to smaller subfunctions.

I think the line that’s causing the problem is f_mu = at.repeat(gp_mu.prior("gp_mu", X=X.values), 500, axis=0). Any suggestions on how to set this up correctly? Thanks!

Hi @joshhjacobson

Kronecker Structured Covariances may help for GP with spatial data. To use LatentKron as prior, have a look at this pymc-example.

Also, a recent blog post “Modeling spatial data with Gaussian processes in PyMC” from from PyMC Labs Blog may be useful as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @DanhPhan! Actually, I was originally thinking I might need the LatentKron GP since the covariance structure could be considered separable along the sampling (i.e., non-spatial) dimension. But this would result in a 3d GP, and I think the parameter prior should really only incorporate variation in 2 dimensions (with repeats).

Thanks for sharing the blog post as well! Really cool to see them build compatibility for a spherical domain.

2 Likes

Tuns out, there’s no issue with the example I provided – just with compatibility in pm.sampling_jax.sample_numpyro_nuts. I need parallel GPU sampling because my data is large, but with a smaller example and vanilla pm.sample, this code works fine.

When using sample_numpyro_nuts, this error

TypeError: Shapes must be 1D sequences of concrete values of integer type, got [288000]. If using `jit`, try using `static_argnums` or applying `jit` to smaller subfunctions.

is due to the lack of compatibility with at.reshape (called by at.repeat). A temporary fix for the issue is mentioned in this post.

2 Likes