Model with extended likelihood function using pm.DensityDist or pm.Potential

I would like to implement an extended likelihood function in my PyMC3 model. I’ve attempted using pm.DensityDist and pm.Potential, but I haven’t had any luck so far.

In the code, I generate a series of measurements and then histogram them into a one-dimensional spectrum that has a single gaussian peak. I then use the model to estimate the location of that peak via an unbinned fit.

To estimate the height of the peak, along with the location, I add an extra random variable to the model and an extra term to the likelihood. The new variable explores the amplitude of the peak, and the extra likelihood term essentially constrains the model’s predicted number of measurements such that it remains close to the observed number of measurements.

The code below shows a basic working example sans the extra likelihood term, as well as two failed attempts at including the extra likelihood term (commented out).

Would anyone be able to spot what I’ve done incorrectly? Thank you very much for your help.

import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import pymc3 as pm

################################################################################
# Generate data
################################################################################

# prepare plot ranges
xMin, xMax = 0, 20
xRange = (xMin, xMax)
xBinsN = 100
xBinWid = (xMax - xMin)/xBinsN
xBinCenters = np.arange(xMin + 0.5*xBinWid, xMax + 0.5*xBinWid, xBinWid)

# generate the observed data
loc = 4.2
scale = .6
size = 500 # number of observed counts
x_obs = np.random.normal(loc = loc, scale = scale, size = size)

# bin the observed data
hist_obs = np.histogram(a = x_obs, bins = xBinsN, range = xRange, density = False)[0]

# plot the measured data as a plt.errorbar() with poisson errors
plt.figure('fig_hist_obs')
plt.errorbar(x = xBinCenters, y = hist_obs, xerr = None, yerr = np.sqrt(hist_obs), color = 'k', marker = 'o', markersize = 3, linestyle = 'None', label = 'observed')
plt.legend()

# A working unbinned fit for mu

def logp(x, mu):
    return pm.Normal.dist(mu = mu, sd = scale).logp(x) # log of likelihood
with pm.Model() as model:
    mu = pm.Uniform('mu', lower = xMin, upper = xMax, testval = (xMax-xMin)/2.)
    LL = pm.DensityDist('LL', logp, observed = {'x': x_obs, 'mu': mu})
    step = pm.Metropolis([mu])
    trace = pm.sample(draws = 10000, step = step, chains = 1)

# Non-working unbinned fit for mu & w using extend likelihood function

# def logp(x, mu, w):
#     LL = pm.Normal.dist(mu = mu, sd = scale).logp(x) # log of likelihood
#     L_integral = pm.math.sum( pm.math.exp(LL) ) * xBinWid # should equal 1 b/c PDF
#     L_integral = w * L_integral # scale PDF by w in hopes of matching data
#     LL_ext = pm.Poisson.dist(mu = L_integral).logp(size) # log of extended likelihood term
#     return LL_ext + LL # LL_ext + LL = log(L_ext * L)
# with pm.Model() as model:
#     mu = pm.Uniform('mu', lower = xMin, upper = xMax, testval = (xMax-xMin)/2.)
#     w = pm.Uniform('w', lower = 1., upper = 2*size, testval = 1.2*size)
#     LL_tot = pm.DensityDist('LL_tot', logp, observed = {'x': x_obs, 'mu': mu, 'w': w})
#     step = pm.Metropolis([mu, w])
#     trace = pm.sample(draws = 10000, step = step, chains = 1)

# Non-working unbinned fit for mu & w using pm.Potential

# def logp(x, mu):
#     return pm.Normal.dist(mu = mu, sd = scale).logp(x) # log of likelihood
# def logp_ext(x, mu, w):
#     LL = logp(x, mu)
#     L_integral = pm.math.sum( pm.math.exp(LL) ) * xBinWid # should equal 1 b/c PDF
#     L_integral = w * L_integral # scale PDF by w in hopes of matching data
#     return pm.Poisson.dist(mu = L_integral).logp(size) # log of extended likelihood term
# with pm.Model() as model:
#     mu = pm.Uniform('mu', lower = xMin, upper = xMax, testval = (xMax-xMin)/2.)
#     w = pm.Uniform('w', lower = 1., upper = 2*size, testval = 1.9*size)
#     LL = pm.DensityDist('LL', logp, observed = {'x': x_obs, 'mu': mu})
#     LL_ext = pm.Potential('LL_ext', logp_ext(x_obs, mu, w))
#     step = pm.Metropolis([mu, w])
#     trace = pm.sample(draws = 10000, step = step, chains = 1)

# Get results of fit

print(pm.summary(trace))
pm.traceplot(trace);

mu = loc
if 'mu' in pm.summary(trace).index:
    mu = pm.summary(trace).loc['mu']['mean']
w = size
if 'w' in pm.summary(trace).index:
    w = pm.summary(trace).loc['w']['mean']
print('mu, w:', mu, w)

def result(x, mu):
    return pm.math.exp(pm.Normal.dist(mu = mu, sd = scale).logp(x)).eval()
print('size:', size)
print('should equal 1:', np.sum(result(xBinCenters, mu) * xBinWid))
print('should equal size:', np.sum(result(xBinCenters, mu) * w * xBinWid))

plt.figure('fig_result')
plt.errorbar(x = xBinCenters, y = hist_obs, xerr = None, yerr = np.sqrt(hist_obs), color = 'k', marker = 'o', markersize = 3, linestyle = 'None', label = 'observed')
plt.plot(xBinCenters, result(xBinCenters, mu) * w * xBinWid, color = 'tab:red', linewidth=1, dashes = [2, 2, 2, 2], label = 'model')
plt.legend()

plt.show()

Some references:

Similar question appeared before: https://discourse.pymc.io/search?q=spectrum%20gaussian, where I think the below two posts might help also in your case: Fitting a spectra of gaussians, Interpolated PDF in a Mixture Model.

Thanks, junpenglao.
I found those examples helpful, but I believe they have slightly different goals than the unbinned extended likelihood example of this thread.

• The “Fitting a spectra of gaussians” post essentially uses maximum likelihood (ML) with binned data.
  • Interpolated PDF in a Mixture Model” uses ML with unbinned data via pm.Mixture, but does not use an extended likelihood term. Because the pm.Mixture environment constrains the sum of the proposed weights to be 1 (pymc3/mixture.py::logp()), if one wanted to overlay the result of this model atop the observed spectrum, the result would need to be scaled by the integral of the observed spectrum.

I too seek to use unbinned ML, but rather than scaling the model by the spectrum integral after-the-fact, I wish to consider the spectrum integral (size in my code) as a parameter to be estimated. I was trying to accomplish this by incorporating an extended likelihood term, but was having trouble getting things to work.

I found a mistake in my code pasted above. As input to the extended likelihood term, I was mistakenly evaluating the standard likelihood term at the observed data x_obs. What I meant to do was evaluate the standard likelihood term along the x-axis, at the fixed values xBinCenters, so that I could calculate a simple integral of the model. The extended likelihood function would then assess how well the integral of the model matches the sample size of the observed data.

The model runs successfully using pm.DensityDist or pm.Potential if I slightly change the commented models in the above code to

# Working unbinned fit for mu & w using pm.DensityDist extended likelihood function

def logp(x, mu, w):
    LL = pm.Normal.dist(mu = mu, sd = scale).logp(x) # log of likelihood evaluated at data x_obs
    LL_dist = pm.Normal.dist(mu = mu, sd = scale).logp(xBinCenters) # log of likelihood evaluated along a fixed range xBinCenters
    L_integral = pm.math.sum( pm.math.exp(LL_dist) ) * xBinWid # should equal 1 b/c PDF
    L_integral = w * L_integral # scale PDF by w in hopes of matching data
    LL_ext = pm.Poisson.dist(mu = L_integral).logp(size) # log of extended likelihood term
    return LL_ext + LL # LL_ext + LL = log(L_ext * L)
    w = pm.Uniform('w', lower = 1., upper = 2*size, testval = 1.2*size)
    LL_tot = pm.DensityDist('LL_tot', logp, observed = {'x': x_obs, 'mu': mu, 'w': w})
    step = pm.Metropolis([mu, w])

# Working unbinned fit for mu & w using pm.Potential extended likelihood function

def logp(x, mu):
    return pm.Normal.dist(mu = mu, sd = scale).logp(x) # log of likelihood evaluated at data x_obs
def logp_ext(x, mu, w):
    LL_dist = logp(x, mu) # log of likelihood evaluated along a fixed range xBinCenters
    L_integral = pm.math.sum( pm.math.exp(LL_dist) ) * xBinWid # should equal 1 b/c PDF
    L_integral = w * L_integral # scale PDF by w in hopes of matching data
    return pm.Poisson.dist(mu = L_integral).logp(size) # log of extended likelihood term
    w = pm.Uniform('w', lower = 1., upper = 2*size, testval = 1.9*size)
    LL = pm.DensityDist('LL', logp, observed = {'x': x_obs, 'mu': mu})
    LL_ext = pm.Potential('LL_ext', logp_ext(xBinCenters, mu, w))
    step = pm.Metropolis([mu, w])

Thanks for your help, and my apologies for any confusion.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back! Great to hear that you find a solution :grin: