Not implemented error in Dynamical Partial Pooling Extractor

Hello,
I am trying to implement a dynamical hierarchical structure of layers in a model.
For example:
Imagine you have a Hierarchy of three components: ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’. The hierarchy is given by a String with a structure like this:

"""
0->1,2->0
1->2->1
2->3->2,3
"""

In the first line would mean that the component A can only match with component B; 1 or 2 and with component C; 0

So the idea should be that each component in the hierarchy will affect the distribution of each child. So the dist[B;1] will be affected by the dist[A;0].

To implement that idea of dependency I have tried to do it dynamically through a for loop and dependency through the distributions.

• components contains the unique values of each component
  • indexes contains the indexes of each level of the hierarchy
niter=1
with self.model:
            previous_sigma = pm.Exponential('sgm-hyper-prior', hierarchy_spec.hiperparams[0])
            niter = 1
            for _ in elements:
                if niter==1:
                    previous_dist = pm.Normal('hie-'+":".join(elements[:niter]), 
                            mu = hierarchy_spec.hiperparams[0], 
                            sigma = self.model.named_vars.get(previous_sigma.name), 
                            shape = len(combinations[":".join(elements[:niter])]))
                    if niter!=len(elements):
                        previous_sigma = pm.HalfNormal('sgm-hie-'+":".join(elements[:niter]), 
                                                        sigma = self.model.named_vars.get(previous_sigma.name),
                    hierarchy_spec.hierarchy_layers.append(previous_sigma.name)
                    niter+=1
                elif(niter==len(elements)):
                    previous_dist = pm.Normal("hie-"+":".join(elements[:niter]), 
                                            mu = self.model.named_vars.get(previous_dist.name)[indexes[":".join(elements[:niter])]], 
                                            sigma = self.model.named_vars.get(previous_sigma.name)[indexes[":".join(elements[:niter])]],
                else:
                    previous_dist = pm.Normal("hie-"+":".join(elements[:niter]), 
                                            mu = self.model.named_vars.get(previous_dist.name)[indexes[":".join(elements[:niter])]], 
                                            sigma = self.model.named_vars.get(previous_sigma.name)[indexes[":".join(elements[:niter])]],

previous_sigma = pm.HalfNormal('sgm-hie-'+":".join(elements[:niter]), 
                    niter+=1

The structure of the model should be something like this and I obtain the correct one:

However when I started sampling the model, PYMC returned the following error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NotImplementedError                       Traceback (most recent call last)
File c:\Users\O002095\Anaconda3\envs\withprofy\lib\site-packages\pytensor\compile\function\types.py:970, in Function.__call__(self, *args, **kwargs)
    968 try:
    969     outputs = (
--> 970         self.vm()
    971         if output_subset is None
    972         else self.vm(output_subset=output_subset)
    973     )
    974 except Exception:

File c:\Users\O002095\Anaconda3\envs\withprofy\lib\site-packages\pytensor\graph\op.py:543, in Op.make_py_thunk..rval(p, i, o, n, params)
    539 @is_thunk_type
    540 def rval(
    541     p=p, i=node_input_storage, o=node_output_storage, n=node, params=None
    542 ):
--> 543     r = p(n, [x[0] for x in i], o)
    544     for o in node.outputs:

File c:\Users\O002095\Anaconda3\envs\withprofy\lib\site-packages\pymc\logprob\transforms.py:100, in TransformedVariable.perform(self, node, inputs, outputs)
     99 def perform(self, node, inputs, outputs):
--> 100     raise NotImplementedError("These `Op`s should be removed from graphs used for computation.")

If I implement the hierarchy statically and without dynamic indexing through the distributions, everything runs and samples correctly:

• A,B,C contains the unique values of each component
  • A_B, B_C… contains the index of the corresponding hierarchical level
with model:
    intercept = pm.Normal('intercept', mu=1, sigma = 10)

# pm.MutableData("data-cta_text", X['cta_text'].values)
    pm.MutableData("data-C_obs_idx", ctas_obs_idx)

sigma_hyp = pm.Exponential("sigma_hyp", 0.005)
    mu_A = pm.Normal("A", mu=0, sigma=sigma_hyp, shape=len(A))
    sigma_A = pm.HalfNormal("sigma_A", sigma=sigma_hyp, shape=len(A))

mu_B = pm.Normal("mu_B", mu = mu_A[A_B_idx], sigma=sigma_A[A_B_idx], shape=len(A_B))
    sigma_B = pm.HalfNormal('sigma_B', sigma = sigma_micro[A_B_idx], shape=len(A_B))

mu_C = pm.Normal("mu_C", mu=mu_B[B_C_idx], sigma=sigma_B[B_C_idx], shape = len(B_C))

linear = pm.Deterministic('linear', (intercept + mu_C[model.named_vars['data-C_obs_idx']]))

In both cases there is a likelihood used with the same structure:

with mlb.model:
    pm.MutableData('target', X_c['target'].values)
    pm.Normal("y_hat", mu=mlb.model.named_vars.get('linear'), sigma=1, observed=mlb.model.named_vars.get('target'))

Thanks in advance

1 Like

It seems that the error came from another completely different part of the code. As the model was being tried in a Jupyter notebook, there was a previous cell to configure the pytensor flags to watch more clearly the errors in the model. So there was a cell with this configuration:

pytensor.config.optimizer='None'

That configuration made every model to raise the same error.

I’ll close the post as solved but if it helps to anyone

:DD

This should be fixed by Fix bug when compiling logp with `mode="FAST_COMPILE"` by ricardoV94 · Pull Request #6735 · pymc-devs/pymc · GitHub

1 Like