NUTS - FromFunctionOp has no attribute 'grad'

Hi,

I am new to pymc3 and have been trying to use the NUTS sampler in my model. My initial model used the Metropolis sampler and it worked fine but I was wanting to use NUTS to draw comparisons between different samplers. The code for my model is as follows -

This part is where I initialize the parameters.

param1 = pm.Normal('param1_{0}'.format(index), mu=3, sd=1)
param2 = pm.Normal('param2_{0}'.format(index),mu=3, sd=1)
param3 = pm.Normal('param3_{0}'.format(index), mu=1, sd=0.5)
param4 = pm.Normal('param4_{0}'.format(index), mu=1, sd=0.5)
offset = pm.Normal('offset_{0}'.format(index), mu=1, sd=0.5)

Consequently, the next iterations use this part to update the params.

self.param1_samples.append(pd.Series(self.parameters['param1_{0}'.format(index - 1)][self.burnin:]))
self.param2_samples.append(pd.Series(self.parameters['param2_{0}'.format(index - 1)][self.burnin:]))
self.param3_samples.append(pd.Series(self.parameters['param3_{0}'.format(index - 1)][self.burnin:]))
self.param4_samples.append(pd.Series(self.parameters['param4_{0}'.format(index - 1)][self.burnin:]))
self.offset_samples.append(pd.Series(self.parameters['offset_{0}'.format(index - 1)][self.burnin:]))        
self.param1 = from_posterior('param1_{0}'.format(index), self.param1_samples[index][self.param1_samples[index] > 0].values)              
self.param2 = from_posterior('param2_{0}'.format(index), self.param2_samples[index][self.param2_samples[index] > 0].values)
self.param3 = from_posterior('param3_{0}'.format(index), self.param3_samples[index][self.param3_samples[index] > 0].values)  
self.param4 = from_posterior('param4_{0}'.format(index), self.param4_samples[index][self.param4_samples[index] > 0].values)
self.offset = from_posterior('offset_{0}'.format(index), self.offset_samples[index][self.offset_samples[index] > 0].values)

The from_posterior function looks like this -

def from_posterior(param, samples):

class From_posterior(pm.Continuous):
		def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
			self.from_posterior_logp = _from_posterior_logp()
			super(From_posterior, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
		def logp(self, value):
			return self.from_posterior_logp(value)

class From_posterior_logp:
		def __init__(self, samples):
			smin, smax = np.min(samples), np.max(samples)
			self.x = np.linspace(smin, smax, 100)
			self.y = stats.gaussian_kde(samples)(self.x)
		def from_posterior_logp(self, value):
			x, y = self.x, self.y
			y0 = 0
			return np.array(np.log(np.interp(value, x, y, left=y0, right=y0))) 	
	from_posterior_logp = From_posterior_logp(samples) 
	def _from_posterior_logp():
		@as_op(itypes=[tt.dscalar], otypes=[tt.dscalar])
		def logp(value):
			return from_posterior_logp.from_posterior_logp(value)
		return logp 
	return From_posterior(param, testval=np.median(samples))

This is how I calculate the likelihood.

self.alpha = self.param1*self.covariate1 + self.param2*self.covariate2 + self.offset
self.beta = self.param3*self.covariate1 + self.param4*self.covariate2
self.mu = pm.math.log(self.alpha)
self.s = tt.power(self.beta, -1)
final = pm.Logistic('final_{0}'.format(index), mu=self.mu, s=self.s, observed=pm.math.log(data))
step =  pm.NUTS([self.param1, self.param2, self.param3, self.param4, self.offset])
trace = pm.sample(self.trace_length, step=step)

Now the error that I get from using NUTS is this ‘FromFunctionOp’ has no attribute ‘grad’. I suppose that I need to define the gradients. I wanted to ask how do I define those gradients and for which variables? Do the variables include alpha, beta, mu, and s? Or are they just param1, param2, param3, param4, offset?

The weird thing is that the first iteration works fine. It is the second iteration where things break.

The gradient of the function is respected to the dimensions of its input, so if you have 3 dimension to the function, the gradient should returns also 3 values.

You can find more information in our doc: http://docs.pymc.io/advanced_theano.html

UPDATE: I was able to solve the gradient problem by using the Interpolated class in the from_posterior function.

def from_posterior(param, samples):
    smin, smax = np.min(samples), np.max(samples)
    width = smax - smin
    x = np.linspace(smin, smax, 100)
    y = stats.gaussian_kde(samples)(x)

# what was never sampled should have a small probability but not 0,
    # so we'll extend the domain and use linear approximation of density on it
    x = np.concatenate([[x[0] - 3 * width], x, [x[-1] + 3 * width]])
    y = np.concatenate([[0], y, [0]])
    return Interpolated(param, x, y)

The new problem is that once I sample from this new class it gives me this error.

EXCEPTION:  <class 'ValueError'> Domain error in arguments.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../modelling/dwell_time/dwell_time_model_class.py", line 212, in predict_for_data
    dwell_time_prediction, posterior_predictions = self.make_prediction_for_covariates(next_onboarding, next_alighting, index + 1, next_ratio)
  File "../modelling/dwell_time/dwell_time_model_class.py", line 86, in <lambda>
    self.make_prediction_for_covariates = lambda onboarding, alighting, index, ratio: make_prediction_for_covariates(self, onboarding, alighting, index, ratio)
  File "../modelling/dwell_time/dwell_time_model_class.py", line 656, in make_prediction_for_covariates_median_fisk
    self.ppc = pm.sample_ppc(self.parameters, samples=self.ppc_samples, size=self.ppc_size)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/pymc3/sampling.py", line 1066, in sample_ppc
    size=size))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/pymc3/distributions/continuous.py", line 2266, in random
    size=size)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/pymc3/distributions/distribution.py", line 480, in generate_samples
    samples = generator(size=size, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/scipy/stats/_distn_infrastructure.py", line 940, in rvs
    raise ValueError("Domain error in arguments.")

I know for fact the here the domain error is that the scale parameter of the rvs function is negative as that is what the check in the code for rvs function. Any idea what I can do to mitigate this error?