NUTS Initialization grew rapidly slower on new pc

Hello all,

I bought a new pc with a good cpu to run pymc3 models that i have quickly. At first it was incredibly fast - it seemed like the step of initializing NUTS was nearly instantaneous. However after repeatedly running pymc3-involved scripts for a day, it was now taking 10 seconds for NUTS initialization to complete and the sampling to start. I’m not familiar with the package enough to trouble shoot this. Is this a theano-related problem? I feel like I am doing something wrong for it to have worked so quickly at the start of the PCs life, days ago. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

I get the following error which may lead to the slowing down:
WARNING (theano.link.c.cmodule): Deleting (broken cache directory [EOF]): ./.theano/compiledir_linux-5.15–generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.35 and so on

The cache is the only thing I can think of that might “accumulate” over successive runs of a given pymc script. You might check out what all is in that directory.

I’d also recommend switching to v4. Just my solo experience, but this kind of thing has been less of a headache for me compared to v3.

Thats fair, i will do that next. Ive always put it off because I don’t want to deal with syntax changes and such. I looked around trying to find a list of documented changes for this purpose but i couldnt. Do you or anyone else know if this exists?

Nevermind, found something!

also this… The Quickest Migration Guide Ever from PyMC3 to PyMC v4.0 - PyMC Labs

It’s not that hard :slight_smile: