NUTS uses all cores

I am running pymc3 on a machine with a large number of cores (>32) and when sampling using NUTS all of the cores are being utilized. I have set the following environment variables:

but I still observe the behavior in NUTS though Metropolis is well behaved. Are there any other variables I should set to limit the core usage?

Some of the theano_ops will use all the cores, for example in the GP module. I think @bwengals knows a bit more on this.

It is strange because I was alright using NUTS on some of the problems I was working on yesterday but now something seems to have changed.

If there is a way to limit NUTS to only use a specific number of cores that would be very helpful.

The reason it worked before was user error. I was editing a jupyter notebook and some variables were stored that I didn’t recognize.

Do you use MvNormal distribution in your model?

Yes I am.

Yeah from Multidimensional gaussian process

The matrix operations used by Theano here are multithreaded, so running multiple chains simultaneously bogs things down.

I am not sure how to limit it to single thread per chain tho.

Okay, it isn’t an issue at the moment but it would be helpful if that was something we could set in the future.