SMC Sampler "name 'HTML' is not defined" Error

Hello!

I’m trying to replicate the code in the Marginal Likelihood/Bayes Factor page, located here:

Bayes Factors and Marginal Likelihoods

All of the previous code blocks run fine but when I run the code block for the sampler, I obtain the following error:

RemoteTraceback                           Traceback (most recent call last)
RemoteTraceback: 
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\multiprocessing\pool.py", line 125, in worker
    result = (True, func(*args, **kwds))
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\multiprocessing\pool.py", line 51, in starmapstar
    return list(itertools.starmap(args[0], args[1]))
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\site-packages\pymc\smc\sampling.py", line 423, in _apply_args_and_kwargs
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\site-packages\pymc\smc\sampling.py", line 345, in _sample_smc_int
    progressbar.update_bar(getattr(progressbar, "offset", 0) + 0)
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\site-packages\fastprogress\fastprogress.py", line 81, in update_bar
    self.on_update(val, f'{pct}[{val}/{tot} {elapsed_t}{self.lt}{remaining_t}{end}]')
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\site-packages\fastprogress\fastprogress.py", line 133, in on_update
    if self.display: self.out.update(HTML(self.progress))
NameError: name 'HTML' is not defined

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\multiprocessing\pool.py", line 125, in worker
    result = (True, func(*args, **kwds))
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\multiprocessing\pool.py", line 51, in starmapstar
    return list(itertools.starmap(args[0], args[1]))
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\site-packages\pymc\smc\sampling.py", line 423, in _apply_args_and_kwargs
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\site-packages\pymc\smc\sampling.py", line 345, in _sample_smc_int
    progressbar.update_bar(getattr(progressbar, "offset", 0) + 0)
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\site-packages\fastprogress\fastprogress.py", line 81, in update_bar
    self.on_update(val, f'{pct}[{val}/{tot} {elapsed_t}{self.lt}{remaining_t}{end}]')
  File "c:\Users\drlac\anaconda3\envs\intuitive_bayes\lib\site-packages\fastprogress\fastprogress.py", line 133, in on_update
    if self.display: self.out.update(HTML(self.progress))
NameError: name 'HTML' is not defined

I’m at a loss to understand the error and was wondering if anyone could help. I’m using PyMC 5.0.2 on a Windows machine using VS Code as the IDE for the Jupyter Notebook.

Any help that can be provided to diagnose this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I think I may have found a potential bug. If I set the boolean value for the progress bar to “False”, the sampler runs just fine:

idata = pm.sample_smc(random_seed=42,progressbar=False)

It appears that the HTML error is related to the progress bar for the SMC sampler.

Can anyone recreate this issue?
Thanks again for any help.

Please see this issue for more information.

Thanks for the reply as I was not aware of the issue.