Solving SIRD model with memory

New pymc/theano user. The following is a very simplified version of the actual model I’m trying to implement. Its an SIRD model where the spread of infections is moderated by the amount of deaths observed over some previous span of time. We want to solve for the disease parameters (spread, recovery rate and fatality rate).

I know with a regular SIR model I could use pymc3.ode, but as far as I know I can’t use that with this model because I can’t access the previous states of the system (i.e. the lags of D for the memory) while its running.

A for loop slowed my model to a grinding halt so I tried coding up a loop as a theano.scan. I haven’t actually figured out how to do the “memory” bit as a theano.scan yet but my bigger concern is it seems that the model parameters cannot be an input to the scan. Is this the case or is there something I’m misunderstanding?

There doesn’t seem to be a way to avoid a loop to compute the next state of the epidemic dynamics, is there any way to use pymc3 for a model that loops like this?

import numpy as np
import pymc3 as pm
import theano
import theano.tensor as T
import arviz as az

#simple SIRD model with a "memory" feature
def sirdMemory(N ,beta, gamma, pi, kappa, D):
        #beta is a contact rate, gamma is a recovery rate and pi is case fatality rate
        S_old=N-1
        I_old=1
        #we don't actually care about R, we focus on D as a flow not a stock
        for k in range(len(D)):
            D[k]=pi*gamma*I_old
            S=-beta/N*S_old*I_old*(kappa/(kappa+np.sum(D[max(1,k-14):k])))+S_old
            I=beta/N*S_old*I_old*(kappa/(kappa+np.sum(D[max(1,k-14):k])))-gamma*I_old+I_old
            S_old=S
            I_old=I

return D

N=10000
beta=2
gamma=1.5
pi=0.02
kappa=100
D=np.zeros(50)    
deaths=sirdMemory(N,beta,gamma,pi,kappa,D)

#running an sir(d) function from theano.scan
#running a simpler sird model with theano.scan
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
t=T.iscalar('t')
N_in=T.iscalar('N')
S=T.scalar('S')
I=T.scalar('I')
beta_in=T.scalar('beta')
gamma_in=T.scalar('gamma')
pi_in=T.scalar('pi')

def innersir2(s,i,beta,gamma, pi, n):
    sflow=-beta/n*s*i
    iflow=beta*s*i/n-gamma*i
    d=pi*gamma*i
    return [s+sflow, i+iflow,d]

results, updates=theano.scan(fn=innersir2, outputs_info=[S,I,None], 
                             non_sequences=[beta_in, gamma_in, pi_in,N_in], n_steps=t)
final_result = results[-1]
sirloop2 = theano.function(inputs=[S, I,beta_in,gamma_in,pi_in,N_in,t], outputs=final_result, updates=updates)
print(sirloop2(N-1,1,beta,gamma,pi,N,len(D)))

#Trying theano.scan in the model section
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#define theano variables
t_sym=theano.tensor.iscalar('t_syn')
S_sym=theano.tensor.scalar('S_sym')
I_sym=theano.tensor.scalar('I_sym')
N_sym=theano.tensor.iscalar('N_sym')
beta_sym=theano.tensor.scalar('beta_sym')
gamma_sym=theano.tensor.scalar('gamma_sym')
pi_sym=theano.tensor.scalar('pi_sym')
with pm.Model() as model6:
    theano.config.compute_test_value = "ignore"

beta = pm.Normal('lam', 2, 0.2)
    gamma = pm.Normal('gamma', 0.8, 0.1)
    pi = pm.Normal('pi', 0.02, 0.005)

results, updates=theano.scan(fn=innersir2, outputs_info=[S_sym,I_sym,None], 
                 non_sequences=[beta_sym, gamma_sym, pi_sym,N_sym], n_steps=t_sym)
    final_result = results[-1]

sirloop2 = theano.function(inputs=[S_sym, I_sym,beta_sym,gamma_sym,pi_sym,N_sym,t_sym], outputs=final_result, updates=updates)

dhat=sirloop2(N-1.0,1.0,beta,gamma,pi,N,len(deaths[1:]))
    Y=pm.Poisson('Y', mu=dhat, observed=deaths[1:])
    trace = pm.sample(10000, tune=1000, cores=1, chains=2, progressbar=True, start={'lam':1,'pi':0.03, 'gamma': 0.7}, step=pm.Metropolis())
    data = az.from_pymc3(trace=trace)

Yes, you should be able to input the parameters into the scan. I worked on an SIR model (without memory) and found it incredibly useful to look over this repository which already has an SIR model implemented in PyMC3 with theano.scan. For the SIR parts specifically see here.

I would make sure you can get an SIR model without memory working before adding in the memory part of this (perhaps you’ve already done this). For actually adding in the memory part of this, I would think you could do it by passing in the entire history of the D compartment into a function like next_day that is in the repo I linked to.

Hope this helps!

p.s. Fun fact: this is the source code for the Priesemann Group’s model which was presented at PyMCon 2020. You can watch the presentation here.