Arviz won't apply to matplotlib ax (plot_forest, plot_kde)

I am trying to use plot forest method to apply to my matplot lib axes. However it appears that only 1 ridgeplot will work and anything else won’t plot. I can switch the order such as to plot on ax2 first but anything after the first plot wont show. I can’t even set_tittle after I plot.

Apparently its any arviz plot, even plot_kde has the same problem.

fig, (ax1, ax2, ax3) = plt.subplots(1, 3, figsize=(18, 5))

az.plot_forest(trace_Q, kind='ridgeplot', var_names="alpha", combined=True, ax=ax1)
az.plot_forest(trace_Q, kind='ridgeplot', var_names="beta", combined=True, ax=ax2)
az.plot_forest(trace_Q, kind='ridgeplot', var_names="gamma", combined=True, ax=ax3)

Versions:
Arviz: 0.11.2
pymc3: 3.11.1
matplotlib: 3.3.4

I am not able to reproduce the error, I used the following code:

idata = az.load_arviz_data("centered_eight")

az.plot_forest(idata, kind='ridgeplot', var_names="tau", combined=True, ax=ax1)
az.plot_forest(idata, kind='ridgeplot', var_names="mu", combined=True, ax=ax2)
az.plot_forest(idata, kind='ridgeplot', var_names="theta", combined=True, ax=ax3)

to generate

How are you executing the code? Could you have the rcParam plot.matplotlib.show set to true? arviz/arvizrc.template at main · arviz-devs/arviz · GitHub

1 Like

I couldn’t replicated your plot with the code you gave.

I have not modified the rcParams in matplotlib. They are default.

Is this in jupyter? what backend are you using? Do you have any extensions loaded?

What happens when you run

x = np.linspace(0, 1)
y = np.random.normal(loc=x)

ax1.plot(x, y)
ax2.plot(x, y)
ax3.plot(x, y)

That code works fine. You were right about the rcParams. I apologize for wasting your time. It was tucked way up at the top and I’m not even sure why or where I got that code from or for.

az.rcParams["plot.matplotlib.show"] = True 

:rofl:

1 Like