Bernoulli Distribution issues when using Data class

Hello,

I am trying to use the Data class to hold some observed values of a Bernoulli distribution. However, when I do this I get an error at the Theano level that I can’t make any sense of. I’m using pymc3 3.10.0.

I’ve written 2 examples below that should reproduce the error. The first is a basic example and the second is more representative of the underlying use case. I’ve included the additional example because in the first I could just not use the Bernoulli distribution and use the x_data variable directly. But for the second example, I don’t believe this would work as a possible fix.

I’m pretty sure the error is down the Data class because if I just use just the data directly the error is not reproduced.

Basic Example:

import scipy.stats as sts
import pymc3 as pm

x = np.random.randint(0, 2, size=200)
y = 2.4 * x

with pm.Model() as model:
    # x_data = x
    x_data = pm.Data('x_data', x)
    y_data = pm.Data('y_data', y)

X = pm.Bernoulli('X', p=0.5, observed=x_data)
    a1 = pm.Normal('a1', 0, 5)
    Y = pm.Normal('Y', mu=a1 * X, sd=4., observed=y_data)

with model:
    trace = pm.sample(2000)

More detailed example:

import scipy.stats as sts
import pymc3 as pm

x1 = sts.norm.rvs(loc=0, scale=1., size=200)
x2 = sts.bernoulli.rvs(p=sts.logistic.cdf(1.8 * x1),
                       size=200)
y = sts.norm.rvs(loc=2.4 * x2, scale=2.)

x1_data = pm.Data('x1_data', x1)
    x2_data = pm.Data('x2_data', x2)
    # x2_data = x
    y_data = pm.Data('y_data', y)

a1 = pm.Normal('a1', 0., 4.)
    a2 = pm.Normal('a2', 0., 4.)

X2 = pm.Bernoulli('X',
                      p=pm.math.sigmoid(a1*x1_data),
                      observed=x2_data)

Y = pm.Normal('Y', mu=a2 * X2, sd=4., observed=y_data)

with model:
    trace = pm.sample(2000)

Portion of Error traceback:

TypeError: expected type_num 5 (NPY_INT32) got 7
Apply node that caused the error: Elemwise{Composite{(i0 + (i1 * sqr((i2 - (i3 * i4)))))}}(TensorConstant{(1,) of -4..5788649127}, TensorConstant{(1,) of -0.0625}, y_data, InplaceDimShuffle{x}.0, X)
Toposort index: 3
Inputs types: [TensorType(float64, (True,)), TensorType(float64, (True,)), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, (True,)), TensorType(int32, vector)]
Inputs shapes: [(1,), (1,), (200,), (1,), (200,)]
Inputs strides: [(8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,)]
Inputs values: [array([-4.61046579]), array([-0.0625]), 'not shown', array([0.]), 'not shown']
Outputs clients: [[Sum{acc_dtype=float64}(Elemwise{Composite{(i0 + (i1 * sqr((i2 - (i3 * i4)))))}}.0)]]
HINT: Re-running with most Theano optimization disabled could give you a back-trace of when this node was created. This can be done with by setting the Theano flag 'optimizer=fast_compile'. If that does not work, Theano optimizations can be disabled with 'optimizer=None'.
HINT: Use the Theano flag 'exception_verbosity=high' for a debugprint and storage map footprint of this apply node.

Any help on this would be awesome! Thanks.

This seems to be unrelated to pm.Bernoulli(), because I can get the same thing with other distributions. In messing around a bit, it seems like the problem arise when having a parameter (e.g., Y) depend on an observed parameter that uses pm.Data() (e.g., X). So if you can work around that, there may be a short-term solution.

If you would like submit an issue via github, there may be additional develop feedback. Or I can submit it. Just let me know.

Ok awesome @cluhmann - I can post something to Github. What other distributions did you try? I tried with pm.Normal and it worked ok.

Here is a rather different example that also fails with similar errors. I have changed the Bernoulli to a Normal and also omitted the normally distributed parameter, Y, replacing it with a simple deterministic variable, temp to investigate whether the error required a second observed parameter.

This example runs for me as soon as you comment out the temp = pm.Deterministic('temp', a1 * X) line, suggesting that it’s the dependency (of temp) on an observed parameter (on X) that uses pm.Data().

x = [0,1]
    x_data = pm.Data('x_data', x)
    #X = pm.Bernoulli('X', p=0.5, observed=x_data)
    X = pm.Normal('X', 0, 1, observed=x_data)
    a1 = pm.Normal('a1', 0, 5)
    temp = pm.Deterministic('temp', a1 * X)
    trace = pm.sample()

When you open an issue, can you link to it here so that others can find their way to that discussion as well?

1 Like

Yep I have done - the issue is here - if you think there is anything else worth adding just let me know. Thanks again for the help!

1 Like