Defining a custom multivariate distribution

I am doing a generalized linear regression with Negative Binomial likelihood. This problem is different from a typical linear model where the x and y values are separate from each other. I am looking at timeseries data, where for each values in the series, I regress on the previous W values. I would like to define a custom distribution that can take in an array of counts, perform this manipulation, and determine the likelihood. This is my code:

class MyNegBin(pm.Discrete):
    def __init__(self, W, intercept, beta, beta_recent, alpha, *args, **kwargs):
        super(MyNegBin, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
        self.W = W
        self.intercept = intercept
        self.beta = beta
        self.beta_recent = beta_recent
        self.alpha = alpha

def logp(self, counts):
        W = self.W
        N = len(counts) - W
        x = np.vstack([counts[i:i+W] for i in range(N)])
        y = counts[W:]

mu = self.intercept
        for i in range(W-1):
            mu += self.beta[i] * x[:,i]
        mu += self.beta_recent * x[:,W-1]

lik = pm.NegativeBinomial.dist(mu=mu, alpha=self.alpha)
        return lik.logp(y)

with pm.Model() as model:
    intercept = pm.Normal('intercept', mu=0, sd=10)
    beta = pm.Normal('beta', mu=0, sd=1, shape=W-1)
    beta_recent = pm.Normal('beta_recent', mu=1, sd=1)
    alpha = pm.TruncatedNormal('alpha', mu=2000, sigma=500, lower=0)

Y_obs = MyNegBin('Y_obs', W, intercept, beta, beta_recent, alpha, observed=counts)`

The problem is that logp() is expecting univariate distribution, so it’s required to take in a constant rather than an array. Is there any way to work around this?

you mean NegativeBinomial only accept vector mu? I think we will need to modify its logp as well. What is the final shape of mu?

NegativeBinomial takes in 2 parameters - mu and alpha. The final shape of mu is (N,). So I am plugging in an array of N mu’s and would like to return the total log likelihood, i.e., the sum of the log likelihoods for each mu. Is there some way to define a distribution with a logp() that takes in an array (i.e., counts) rather than a scalar/constant?

Hmmm, this seems to be fine?

with pm.Model(): 
    pm.NegativeBinomial('x', np.ones(10), np.ones(10), shape=10) 

Maybe try specifying the shape in pm.NegativeBinomial.dist(mu=mu, alpha=self.alpha, shape=...)

The issue I’m having is that I would like to pass in an array of counts and then perform the manipulation
so that each element of x corresponds to an element of y for linear regression. So ideally I would be able to define a multivariate distribution over the entire array that performs this manipulation to get the x and y data before calculating the likelihood. Does this make sense? Is there a way to define a custom multivariate distribution?

I figured it out! Thank you!

Great to hear @ally-lee! Do you mind posting the solution here and marking it as “solution”? I’m sure it would help future readers :slight_smile:

My original solution wasn’t working because I had defined my distribution as a subclass of pm.Discrete, which defines univariate distributions. After reading some more of the documentation, I realized that the best way to do this was to define a custom likelihood function that took as arguments all of my model’s hyperparameters, and returned a function that computed the likelihood for a given data set. I could then use DensityDist to define a distribution with my custom likelihood.

def likelihood(W, N, intercept, beta, beta_recent, alpha):

def logp_(counts):
        counts = counts.eval()

mu = intercept
        for i in range(W-1):
            mu += beta[i] * x[:,i]
        mu += beta_recent * x[:,W-1]

lik = pm.NegativeBinomial.dist(mu=mu, alpha=alpha)
        return lik.logp(y)

return logp_

with pm.Model() as model:
    intercept = pm.Normal('intercept', mu=0, sd=10)
    beta = pm.Normal('beta', mu=0, sd=1, shape=W-1)
    beta_recent = pm.Normal('beta_recent', mu=1, sd=1)
    alpha = pm.TruncatedNormal('alpha', mu=2000, sigma=500, lower=0)

Y_obs = pm.DensityDist('Y_obs',
                           likelihood(W, len(counts)-W, intercept, beta, beta_recent, alpha),
                           observed=counts)
1 Like