Fresh install error: No module named 'distutils.msvccompiler'

Hello everyone,
I am a complete newbie in pymc, and after listening to @AlexAndorra non-stop in his podcast about the marvelous of such a package, I took confidence and decided to start doing some analysis using it.
Well, things started on the wrong foot. After a naive, and lazy, installation using pip for pymc3 that didn´t work, I uninstalled it and started reading the docs. Finding the instructions on how to install in Windows 10 under anaconda in: Installation — PyMC dev documentation , just creating a new environment and voila… well in theory.

Unfortunately, didn´t work, even after I updated anaconda, conda and everything else, including the last Windows update. :frowning:

Just running:
import pymc

I got an error preventing starting anything:

starting from:
File ~\anaconda3\envs\pymc_env\lib\site-packages\pymc_init_.py:118, in
114 aesara.config.gcc__cxxflags = augmented
117 if sys.platform == “win32”:
→ 118 __suppress_aesara_import_warnings()
119 __set_compiler_flags()
121 from pymc import gp, ode, sampling

until:
File ~\anaconda3\envs\pymc_env\lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\mingw32ccompiler.py:28, in
26 import distutils.cygwinccompiler
27 from distutils.unixccompiler import UnixCCompiler
—> 28 from distutils.msvccompiler import get_build_version as get_build_msvc_version

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘distutils.msvccompiler’

Help !

Second report of this today: Conda install error - #3 by jonititan

Thanks, I created a tracker issue on the pymc-feedstock which is probably where we’ll have to fix it.

For a quick fix, please try the following command:

conda install "setuptools <65"

The next PyMC v4.1.5 should come out soon, and hopefully upgrading will also fix this issue.

Please check the above link for the latest info.

1 Like

Worked !

Thank you

2 Likes