"Injecting" values into each MCMC iteration

I want to run a weighted regression in PyMC but with a posterior distribution of weights I have precalculated on the same data.

Say I have obtained a matrix W of N observations and Q draws (i.e., draws * chains). When calculating the regression likelihood, I want to multiply the normal log-pdf of the outcome with a vector w_q (of size N) for each MCMC iteration q.

Question:
What’s the best way to pass each MCMC iteration with a new draw from that matrix
(assume Q matches and enough weights were drew, i.e. MCMC iterations \leq Q)?

Nice to have: Ideally, I would like to hack the model definition, rather than the optimizer (step function?). So it would look something like the below, where, w is some way to fool a distribution object to spit out predefined vectors from matrix W in order.

w = ...
y_obs = pm.Potential(
    "y_obs", 
    w*pm.logp(pm.Normal.dist(mu=mu, sigma=sigma), y)
)

But I’ll take any solution you may have.

Thank you

What I tried so far:

• Create a CustomDist for the y_obs with a custom logp function that draws from a python generator.
  • Create a similar logp function that goes into the pm.Potential for the y_obs.
  • Create a CustomDist for w which has a generator for both logp and random.

But these seem to use only a handful (1-10) draws from the weights matrix (I keep track with an internal counter), instead of throughout the sampling.
However, my knowledge in the inner-works of pymc is very limited, I don’t always understand what I try :slight_smile:

You need a custom step sampler if you want to change the logp artifically at every mcmc step

Thanks Ricardo.

Although slightly unfortunate as the solution will probably be less generic and harder to understand :slight_smile:

I skimmed the NUTS/BaseHMC/ArrayStepShared code, it’s quite complex and there is relatively little documentation/examples on custom steps in pymc5.
Do you have a sense what the minimal change could possibly be?
Where should I intervene? on step? astep? _hamiltonian_step?
How will the custom step be incorporated in the pm.Model()?

Many thanks