Modelling multiple correlated variables

I am completley new to pymc3 and really like the api and the flexibility that comes along.

However, I am stuck at modelling something a cash flow model. For sake of simplicity let’s say I want to model the following:

y = \sum_{t=0}^T \dfrac{CF_t}{(1+r)^t}

where all CF and r are normally distributed and CFs are correlated.

How would I best model this assuming the following priors

1. all CFs follow a normal distribution with different mus and stds
  2. all CFs are correlated
  3. r follows a normal distribution

My main challenges are:

1. how do I best create T parameters with different mus and std. I know that I can pass a shape parameter, but I cannot pass different mus and stds? Is the only way to create individual parameters?
  2. how do I model that y is the sum of different parameters?
  3. how do I model the correlation part? (this is likely a prob programming question rather than a pymc3 question

My below attempt works but has two pitfalls:

1. if T = 100 I had to model 100 separate variables
  2. it does not account for correlations between cf1, cf2 and cf3
T = 3
model = pm.Model()
with model:
    # Define priors
    cf1 = pm.Normal("cf1",100,10)
    cf2 = pm.Normal("cf2",100,15)
    cf3 = pm.Normal("cf3",100,20)

i = pm.Normal("i", 0.1,0.04)
    t = range(0,T)

# Model output and treat as deterministic to keep track
    y = pm.Deterministic("y",cf1/(1+i)**t[0] + cf2/(1+i)**t[1] + cf3/(1+i)**t[2])

trace = pm.sample()

Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks for your help!

(Note that this is a very simplified version of what I really want to achieve)

I think I can answer 3: if you want to include correlations in your prior, then you need to create a covariance matrix, which will contain the information about correlations between variables (covariance is a measure of how the variables vary together). Then you need to load that covariance matrix into a multivariate distribution, which in your case will be:
cfs = pm.MvNormal("cfs", mu=[100, 100, 100], cov=your_covariance_matrix, shape=3)

Great thanks for the swift help. I tried this multiple times and it didn’t work given I forgot to set the shape parameter…THANKS!

Random remark, are you sure you want to model i/r as normal, and allow it to be negative? Maybe you want a half-normal.

Yes, you are right. I will not model it as normal. This was just a toy example and the normal prior does not make sense here. Should have used a different prior to avoid causing confusion.