Predictions the other way round (posterior predictive out of sample)

Hi all. I’m experiencing a strange issue when trying to predict out-of-sample unobserved data with pm.sample_posterior_predicitve. I have the following model (sorry I cannot provide data atm):

coords = {"year":list(year_look.keys()), 
          "country":list(country_look.keys()),
          "zone":list(zone_look.keys()),
          "location":df.index.values, 
          "feature":["longitude", "latitude"]}

with pm.Model(coords=coords) as mod:
    c_idx = pm.ConstantData("country_idx", country_idx, dims="location")
    t_idx = pm.ConstantData("year_idx", year_idx, dims="location")
    z_idx = pm.ConstantData("zone_idx", zone_idx, dims="location")
    X = pm.ConstantData("X", xy_country.T, dims=("country", "feature"))
    T = pm.ConstantData("T", years, dims="year")

zeta_z = pm.Normal("zeta_z", 0, 1, dims="zone") 
    zeta_l = pm.Normal("zeta_l", 0, 1) 
    zeta_s = pm.HalfNormal("zeta_s", 1) 
    zeta = pm.Deterministic("zeta", zeta_l + zeta_z*zeta_s, dims="zone") #intercept space

alpha = pm.Normal("alpha", 0, 1) 

s = pm.Gamma("s", mu=300, sigma=100)
    k = Matern32Chordal(input_dim=2, ls=s)
    latent_s = pm.gp.Latent(cov_func=k,)
    chi = latent_s.prior("chi", X, dims="country")

l = pm.HalfNormal("l", 1)
    c = pm.gp.cov.ExpQuad(input_dim=1, ls=l)
    latent_t = pm.gp.Latent(cov_func=c,)
    tau = latent_t.prior("tau", T[:,None], dims="year")

psi = pm.Deterministic("psi", pm.math.invlogit(chi[c_idx] + tau[t_idx]))

p = pm.Deterministic("p", pm.math.invlogit(alpha + zeta[z_idx]*areas ))

y = pm.Bernoulli('y', p=p*psi, observed=detected, dims="location")

with mod:
    idata = pm.sample(1000, tune=1000, chains=4, cores=12, random_seed=33)

with mod:
    z = pm.Bernoulli("z", p=psi)
    preds = pm.sample_posterior_predictive(idata, var_names=["psi", "p", "y","z"])

This samples with no issues and the posterior predictive checks are quite okay:

pred_y_year = np.array([pred_y[yea_idx[i]].sum(axis=0) for i in range(len(year_look))])
pred_z_year = np.array([pred_z[yea_idx[i]].sum(axis=0) for i in range(len(year_look))])

pred_y_country = np.array([pred_y[con_idx[i]].sum(axis=0) for i in range(len(country_look))])
pred_z_country = np.array([pred_z[con_idx[i]].sum(axis=0) for i in range(len(country_look))])

samps = np.random.randint(pred_y.shape[1], size=100)

...code for plotting below...etc...

From this model I get the unobserved data predictions as follow (all very standard):

with mod:
    mod.add_coords({"year_u":list(year_u_look.keys()), "country_u":list(country_u_look.keys()), 
                    "zone_u":list(zone_u_look.keys()), "location_u":u_idx})

c_u_idx = pm.ConstantData("country_u_idx", country_u_idx, dims="location_u")
    t_u_idx = pm.ConstantData("year_u_idx", year_u_idx, dims="location_u")
    z_u_idx = pm.ConstantData("zone_u_idx", zone_u_idx, dims="location_u")
    Xu = pm.ConstantData("Xu", xy_country_u.T, dims=("country_u", "feature"))
    Tu = pm.ConstantData("Tu", years_u, dims="year_u")

zeta_z_u = pm.Normal("zeta_z_u", 0, 1, dims="zone_u") 
    zeta_u = pm.Deterministic("zeta_u", zeta_l + zeta_s * zeta_z_u, dims="zone_u")

alpha_u = pm.Normal("alpha_u", 0, 1)

chi_u = latent_s.conditional("chi_u", Xu, dims="country_u")

tau_u = latent_t.prior("tau_u", Tu[:,None], dims="year_u")

psi_u = pm.Deterministic("psi_u", pm.math.invlogit(chi_u[c_u_idx] + tau_u[t_u_idx]))

p_u = pm.Deterministic("p_u", pm.math.invlogit(alpha_u + zeta_u[z_u_idx]*areas_u))

z_u = pm.Bernoulli("z_u", p=psi_u)

y_u = pm.Bernoulli('y_u', p=p_u*z_u, dims="location_u")

with mod:
    preds_u = pm.sample_posterior_predictive(idata, predictions=True, random_seed=33, 
                                             var_names=["y_u", "p_u", "psi_u", "z_u"])

But somehow the predictions seem to be in reverse:

The values should be increasing rather than decreasing, seems that if the shape of the image above (especially over time) is flipped, the predictions would be capturing the data more appropriately.

I know it’s not ideal without example data, I’ll try to come up with a toy example when I can. But, just in case someone has experienced this issue or a similar one before and has some suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

Could it be a problem with the coords you are adding?

I’ve double-checked those, and I cannot spot issues. However, for the analysis I’m splitting the data into an observed dataframe (df_obs) and an unobserved dataframe (df_unobs). I’m resetting the index of both df_obs and df_unobs, maybe that’s creating an issue? The spatial coordinates (x: longitude, y : latitude) and time (year) indices should correspond to the new index, though. So I cannot think of how index resetting may be producing the issue, but’s the only thing I can think of for now. (Thanks for your, as usual :grin:, quick reply ).

What is the log output of sampling: [...] in posterior predictive? Do you notice any odd variable there that shouldn’t be (re)sampling?

Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure how to check up the log output from the posterior predictive.

I can’t upload pictures, but should look something like this: Posterior predictive sampling log output - Album on Imgur

Taken from the Prior and Posterior Predictive Checks — PyMC 5.7.1 documentation

Many thanks, I’ll give it try.

Sorry for the delay. Here’s the log output:

Sampling: [alpha_u, chi_u, tau_u_rotated_, y_u, z_u, zeta_z_u]
 |████████████████████| 100.00% [4000/4000 00:30<00:00]

It seems that it’s appropriately sampling chi_u, but instead of sampling tau_u, it samples tau_u_rotated, is that normal?

Turns out, I was sampling tau_u as latent.prior rather than as latent.conditional. I fixed that, however, the issue persists. I’m rechecking indices once again, maybe I missed something there.

What are the posteriors of alpha and zeta? Could the new alpha_u and zeta_u be very different and explain the surprising trend? That is are their conditional priors compatible with a reversed effect?

Thank you. Maybe zeta_u could be producing something like that. The unobserved data doubles the observed data. So maybe zeta_u contains too many sites (zones within countries) that have missing data before 1992 and the model projects from future dates with present (present =1, absent = 0) data thus reversing the prediction. I’m not sure whether that makes, but it’s the only ting I could of at the moment, if zeta_u is the “culprit”.