Samples from Marginal Posterior Distribution

Let us consider the following Hierarchical Bayesian model:

• mu \sim\ Beta(1, 1)
  • k \sim\ Exponential(1)
  • a = k*mu
  • b = (1-mu) * k
  • theta \sim\ Beta(a, b)
  • y \sim\ Bern(theta)

The above example is a simplification of the example in figure 2.19 in the book Bayesian Analysis with Python by Osvaldo Martin.

import numpy as np
    import pymc3 as pm
    import arviz as az

data = np.random.binomial(1, 0.3, 10000)

with pm.Model() as model:
        mu = pm.Beta('mu', 1., 1.)
        k = pm.Exponential('k', 1)
        a = pm.Deterministic('a', mu*k)
        b = pm.Deterministic('b', (1.0-mu)*k)
        theta = pm.Beta('theta', alpha=a, beta=b)
        y = pm.Bernoulli('y', p=theta, observed=data)
        trace = pm.sample(1000)

I have the following two questions:

• The trace variable contains samples from the posterior distribution for the three random variables mu, k and theta. Does the samples correspond to each of the marginal posterior distribution i.e. p(mu|data), p(k|data), p(theta|data) or they correspond to the joint posterior i.e. p(theta,mu,k|data) ?
  • If the samples correspond to the joint posterior, how can I obtain samples from each of the marginal posterior distribution i.e. p(mu|data), p(k|data), p(theta|data)?
2 Likes

Your samples correspond to the joint posterior of all parameters conditioned on the data: p(theta,mu,k|data)

The wonderful thing about MCMC samples is that the marginal of each (or the joint-posterior subset of any n variables, or some summary statistics) is also given or retrievable from these samples.

For the marginal, you just ignore the variables you don’t care about:

marginal_mu = trace["mu"] 

Similarly, if you wanted to only look at the joint posterior of mu and k you would just include those and ignore the other variables:

joint_mu_k = np.stack((trace["mu"], trace["k"]))
2 Likes

Thank you very much