Student Internship at the German Aerospace Center (DLR)

Our team at the German Aerospace Center (DLR), Institute of Space Systems in Bremen (Germany), is currently looking for a student with recent experience in PyMC3, who is interested to join our team for a summer internship. We are currently experimenting with Bayesian models to infer aerodynamic characteristics of future launch vehicles based on experimental and simulated data. This activity is embedded in the CALLISTO project, a joint program with JAXA and CNES to develop and operate a reusable first stage demonstrator.

Your tasks would include:

• Further development and refinement of our inference models
  • Test and evaluation of different modelling approaches
  • Comparison of your results with traditional non-Bayesian methods
  • Collaboration with other teams in the CALLISTO project

Your qualifications are:

• Enrolled bachelor or master student in a relevant field (data science, informatics, mathematics, engineering, …)
  • Profound programming and software engineering skills, especially with Python and GitLab
  • Good experience with Bayesian modelling in PyMC3
  • Background in aerospace engineering, especially in aerodynamics / flight dynamics, would be desirable
  • Ability to work with confidential data
  • Good English proficiency, German would be a plus

We offer:

• Six-month internship at DLR Bremen, starting from 01.02. or 01.03.2021
  • Insight into a cutting-edge aerospace project
  • Collaboration with an international team of experts
  • Possibility to prepare a project / bachelor / master thesis
  • Monthly salary

If you are interested in this position I would be happy to receive a short informal PM to share further contact details with you.

Thank you – and see you soon! :wink:

4 Likes

Hi,
I’m one of the core contributors/maintainers of PyMC3. My degrees are in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering specifically, and I worked at SpaceX using Bayesian Methods there. I can’t tell you how excited I am that others are using PyMC3 and Bayesian Methods in aerospace and rocketry specifically.

If you’re open to it I’d love to chat sometime and hear more, in the meanwhile I’ll share this around my network to hopefully find you a student, and from a PyMC3 perspective would be thrilled to support however I can as well

2 Likes

Hello! I am currently completing my master’s degree in computer engineering. I’d be interested in doing my internship in a company like yours. I have a lot of experience with Python, Java, as well as various planning like Trello and employee monitoring software. I’d like to know more information, could you send me an email? Thank you!

We are again looking for two motivated bachelor or master students who are interested to perform an internship at the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in Bremen (Germany). You will join our Space Launcher System Analysis team and try to apply Bayesian methods for one of the following topics:

• Inference of aerodynamic parameters based on numerical and experimental data sets
  • Inference of development costs based on real historical vehicles and study results

If you are interested, we would be happy to receive your short application via the following link:

DLR - Jobs & Careers - Application of Bayesian Inference for Analysis and Design of Space Transportation System