Trace plots Hierarchical Models

Hi All,
I am trying to explore a hierarchical model with 3 levels. I am able to create the model and generate samples from it. However, when I try to use pm.traceplot() or pm.summary() I get the following error

ValueError: Input dimension mis-match. (input[3].shape[0] = 1860, input[4].shape[0] = 900)

Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve this??

You may have inconsistent versions of PyMC3 and ArviZ. How did you install them?

Also can you try the functions native in ArviZ

import arviz as az
az.summary()
az.plot_trace()

I tried using these commands and it is still giving me the same error.
I am using PyMC3 3.8 and ArviZ 0.9.

Can you paste an example that shows the error?

Also you can try updating both ArviZ and PyMC from the github master branch

1 Like

You can also just update PyMC to 3.9.3 from pip or conda-forge

I tried updating the both ArviZ and PyMC but I am still getting the following error

ValueError: Input dimension mis-match. (input[3].shape[0] = 1860, input[4].shape[0] = 900)
Apply node that caused the error: Elemwise{Composite{Switch(i0, (i1 * ((-(i2 * sqr((i3 - ((i4 * i5) + i6 + (i7 * i8) + (i9 * i8) + i10 + (i11 * i12) + i13 + i14 + (i15 * i16) + (i17 * i18 * i8)))))) + i19)), i20)}}[(0, 4)](Elemwise{Composite{Cast{int8}(GT(i0, i1))}}.0, TensorConstant{(1,) of 0.5}, Elemwise{Composite{inv(sqr(i0))}}[(0, 0)].0, TensorConstant{[3.3082953…7540281 ]}, AdvancedSubtensor1.0, <TensorType(float64, vector)>, AdvancedSubtensor1.0, AdvancedSubtensor1.0, <TensorType(float64, vector)>, AdvancedSubtensor1.0, AdvancedSubtensor1.0, InplaceDimShuffle{x}.0, <TensorType(float64, vector)>, AdvancedSubtensor1.0, AdvancedSubtensor1.0, InplaceDimShuffle{x}.0, <TensorType(float64, vector)>, AdvancedSubtensor1.0, <TensorType(float64, vector)>, Elemwise{Composite{log((i0 * i1))}}.0, TensorConstant{(1,) of -inf})
Toposort index: 15
Inputs types: [TensorType(int8, (True,)), TensorType(float64, (True,)), TensorType(float64, (True,)), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, (True,)), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, (True,)), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, vector), TensorType(float64, (True,)), TensorType(float32, (True,))]
Inputs shapes: [(1,), (1,), (1,), (1860,), (900,), (900,), (900,), (900,), (900,), (900,), (900,), (1,), (900,), (900,), (900,), (1,), (900,), (900,), (900,), (1,), (1,)]
Inputs strides: [(1,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (8,), (4,)]
Inputs values: [array([1], dtype=int8), array([0.5]), array([2.19361905]), ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, array([0.10929279]), ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, array([0.2955149]), ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, ‘not shown’, array([-1.05232435]), array([-inf], dtype=float32)]
Outputs clients: [[‘output’]]

HINT: Re-running with most Theano optimization disabled could give you a back-trace of when this node was created. This can be done with by setting the Theano flag ‘optimizer=fast_compile’. If that does not work, Theano optimizations can be disabled with ‘optimizer=None’.
HINT: Use the Theano flag ‘exception_verbosity=high’ for a debugprint and storage map footprint of this apply node.

We really need to see some code to be able to assist more. It looks to be a problem with the model and sampling rather than plotting and summary statistics.

1 Like

It is difficult to guess without seeing any model code not the complete error message, but here are some ideas:

• issues retrieving the log likelihood. see DE-Metropolis with blackbox likelihood does not terminate
  • issues with densitydist and multiple observations: see Blackbox likelihood example doesn't work
  • version issues: if mixing pip and conda, it could be that even when a newer version is installed, python is actually importing the old version anyways. check pm.__version__ and az.__version__ within the same code the model is executed
  • issues with coordinates: it could be if using dims and coords that a the length of the array of coordinate values for a given dim does not match the size of the dimension. The error should not mention theano in this case but who knows :man_shrugging:
  • something else entirely: I don’t think we will be able to help any further than this without the code or a reduced version of it reproducing the same issue
1 Like