Nominations for steering council upcoming election

We will use this post to nominate candidates to the upcoming council election as indicated on our governance.

This topic should be dedicated to nominations only. If you have questions about the election or other governance issues, please open another topic and feel free to tag me so I don’t miss it.

For clarity, I am going to outline the whole election process here, but when in doubt, consult the governance doc.

The first step are nominations. Only core contributors can nominate people and only core contributors who match the eligibility criteria can be nominated. Core Contributors are listed on the governance doc.

To nominate someone, add a response below with the name of the nominee. In order to accept a nomination, nominees have to like their nomination or add a new response explicitly accepting the nomination.

Nominations are open for two weeks (that is, until November 18th). After that the nominees who accepted their nomination become candidates for the election and voting starts.

The second step is voting the candidates (aka nominees who accepted the nomination), which will be done via secret vote mediated by NumFOCUS, we’ll post a new topic with the result, but unlike nominations here, the voting process won’t be public.

3 Likes

I nominate Oriol Abril.

6 Likes

I nominate Thomas Wiecki.

5 Likes

Nominating Chris Fonnesbeck

5 Likes

Nominating @RavinKumar and @OriolAbril!!

5 Likes

I nominate @aloctavodia

3 Likes

I nominate @martinacantaro

3 Likes

I nominate @junpenglao

3 Likes

I nominate @ericmjl

1 Like

I nominate @brandonwillard

2 Likes

I nominate @ricardoV94

3 Likes

I nominate @michaelosthege

4 Likes

I nominate @colcarroll

4 Likes

The nomination period has finished now. We will now have an election with the following candidates:

• Oriol Abril
  • Thomas Wiecki
  • Chris Fonnesbeck
  • Ravin Kumar
  • Osvaldo Martin
  • Junpeng Lao
  • Brandon T. Willard
  • Ricardo Vieira
  • Michael Osthege
  • Colin Carroll

I checked that everyone was eligible for the steering council, but if someone has concerns on this please comment here in the next day while we set up the voting form with NumFOCUS.

I also want to thank everyone for participating, nominating and liking the posts :heart: . I think liking can be a good way to encourage people who are indecisive to accept their nomination, however, I want to clarify that likes play no role in the nomination or election process, the only exception being someone liking their nomination as a signal of accepting it. In the election we’ll have now, all candidates are treated in the same way, independently of whether their nomination got 0 or 20 likes.

4 Likes

Election results are are available at another topic: